DIY Holiday Ornaments
I decided that it was time to have a Christmas tree in my studio again this year. It's been awhile and now that's it's up, I have been having loads of fun making ornaments for it. First up on my lists of ornaments are todays Holiday Project number 4. These ornaments are a great scrap and trim buster. They don't take much to make and as usual, I couldn't just make one. The tutorial is at the end of this post.
You might recognize Lil Okey
from my PDF patterns. I spiffed her up for the holidays by adding a bow and a piece of felt holly. Make sure to add a ribbon hanging while your sewing her if she's going to be an ornament.
I have a few more ornaments on the sewing table and I bet you see those in the next few days if you keep up with my blog.
Now here's how to make the round ornaments at the top.
5" x 10" of cotton quilting fabric
2" x 4" gray felt
3-4 trims 6" each
8" black ribbon for hanger
1. Cut out pieces according to the pattern sheet. You can find it and print it here
. Start by arranging one of the trims across the center of the ornament. Sew in place. From there you can decide if you want trims on the top and bottom of the center trim as well as another one across the center. I ended up using four trims for each ornament.
2. Next, align the back side of the ornament to the front. You'll want to sew around it but leave approximately a 1.5" gap. This gap should be at the top of the ornament where the cap will eventually go.
3. Clip the curves, turn right sides out and fill will fiberfill. I didn't stuff mine too much, just enough to give them shape.
4. Arrange the two felt caps so they cover the opening in the ornament. One of the pieces should be on the front of the ornament and one should be on the back. Pin them in place. Fold the black ribbon in half and slide between the two pieces of felt and pin to secure.
5. Top stitch around the outer edge of the felt to secure everything. You're finished!
Thanks for stopping by, Visit my Website, Etsy Shop
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.